Saturday, June 10, 2017

Post 2: June 10

This idea continues to percolate and though it is morphing a bit, I still think that it is feasible.  However, there are a few catches.  All plans have these, and to do anything, you have to compromise.

I don't think it's wise to camp out or find a place near the mountain to stay.  Our place in West Brattleboro is no more than an hours drive, at least that's what I remember.  I currently drive in the car for this amount of time almost every day in bumper to bumper traffic here in Israel.  I don't think that New Hampshire and Vermont traffic will bother me much.

But I am battling some medical issues.  For the past year, I've dealt with somewhat severe stomach pains and have now, per the advice of a naturopath, tweaked my diet.  It has been very effective and is also allowing me to lose some of the weight I've gained since toning down my riding (I was racing at the master's level here).  Yet there are a few more issues.

First, I have been experiencing extreme, almost debilitating, fatigue.  Teaching is not really a difficult job in terms of physicality, but I find myself dragging about,  far too often having to pull myself up a flight of stairs. My naturopath swears things will change after several months and that my strength will come back.

I also have to consider my heart.  I stopped racing due to a genetic issue with my aortic valve and a slight enlargement of the aorta.  Some of my doctors don't see this as an issue and feel that my enlarged heart is due to exercise and that I have nothing to worry about.  Others are not quite as sure.  In fact, I have an important exam in Hartford on the 10th of July.  Since I have to complete this project prior to that, I wonder if I am taking a foolish risk?

Yet these are small things.  I am lucky that I have such worries.  Lucky that I can travel such distances and morph into another lifestyle so different from the one I lead here in the Middle East. Lucky that I have my home in Vermont that each time I come back, causes me to turn my head from my wife so she won't see the tears well in my eyes when I know that I have nature again in my backyard. Lucky that I have had so many years on this earth and so much opportunity to live this crazy life that we do.

No comments: