Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Leaving (Written in December of 2017 in West Brattleboro, Vermont)

Leaving Israel
There is sadness
I love going
Hate leaving
It sounds so contradictory
Perhaps it has to do with
The fact
That I have been leading
Two different lives
All all these years
For so very long

Fly stop fly
Boston
Always looking down
The islands shimmer
Beneath the clouds
Filled with plans that are far too many
Too many but never enough
It is better to be let down
By things we have not accomplished
Than buoyed by promises
We never intended to keep

Driving
My leg explodes two nights later
Baseball-sized wad of muscle
Begs to be let out
I cringe
Once alone
Once with friends
Hang onto the bathroom sink
Thinking, “I won’t throw-up”
I don’t
The pain lasts for days

Something is in my backyard
Living
A bear?
I see its trail ending
Between the pines
It is warmer there
This animal is sleeping by my house as well
I see where it goes

Friends
Mother
Two hours to West Hartford
Visits for 3-5
Two hours to Brattleboro
I have not done enough
I hear about this
I am called on this
I am not doing enough
Even I have jumped on this bandwagon

I keep asking myself, “What is enough”
Six thousand miles
Rental cars
Bills are flying at me
Hitting me on the side of my head
You are home
You are not home
Do you have a home?

Vermont to Plum Island
Stop at Doane Falls
The roads are isolated
Winter has arrived
But there is not a strangle grip
That comes later
Next week and the week after

I creep down snowy slopes
Onto an iced-over stream
Carefully
The ice is not solid
I crack through the ice and feel my shoe fill
Slightly
Cold water makes me laugh
My tripod and camera are safe
I know this photo will be beautiful
I recompose
The photo will be beautiful
I will stay far too late entranced by the
Slanted light


Two days in Plum Island
Up at sunrise
Again lucky with images
That are subtle, beautiful, time stamped
Winter, ice, snow
Shards of what I know best
Audubon People welcome me like family
Kind and warm
Yet the weather
Wind blowing and close to freezing
I have forgotten how to dress
I freeze
Yet the photos are good
I am stunned again later to find
Images that speak loudly to me
I visit
My cousin and her husband
Walden Pond
Russian men fishing
For Transcendental trout
Which are caught on barbed hooks
I see my father in her actions
See me in her physical strength
Sadly, I leave
My days are overplanned
I have to move

Brattleboro again
I wait and watch my backyard
A dog
The Dog
Looking at me but running
When I open the door
I get friends to help me
We get food
I feed The Dog and shop for The Dog
The Dog has a beautiful face
It is a strong Dog
It is scared
I buy canned food
Treats
It runs when I open the door


An ice storm
Trees are weighted
Glistening
I have to photograph
Risk the road
Brake carefully

I hike
Into a forest
Alone
Water runs through the gorge
I line up photos
I will notice later
How beautiful the trees were
How the snow held them tightly
Feel that the crunching of the snow
And ice
Is in tune
A well-timed beat

Brattleboro home
I buy a bone for The Dog
I leave it and come back
An hour later
Still there
Two hours later
Gone
The dog is still eating
We have filled the cage with food
To catch her
To help her
The weather is getting colder
Record lows are on their way
I will learn again what minus 12 degrees
Feels like
I did not want The Dog to learn this
But that’s not what happens

At 1:00 a.m. I am up
I hear the cage pop
I wait for a plaintive wailing
Silence
I wait for angry barking
Silence
Maybe I never heard the cage door close?
I shine my flashlight outside
It has closed
I go outside with my flashlight

The Dog is in the cage
The Dog looks at me
Silently
Resignedly
The Dog is shaking
Its coat is wet from the rain
I call the police
At 2:00 a.m.
We drag the cage to his car
It’s too large
The officer produces a stick
With a noose
He loops it around The Dog’s neck
I expect a fight
A struggle
Again, I am wrong
The Dog goes quietly into his back seat
There is so much I don’t understand
Until I realize that I do understand
The Dog wanted to be caught
I can clearly see this
At least The Dog’s belly is full
Canned food, dried food, treats, bones


Craftsbury
First time on cross country skies
For so many years
My friend is a skier
He forgets that I live in sand
I struggle
Muscles that are not ready for this
But I remember enough
Am still strong enough
Tough enough
And ever so stubborn
I will hurt after this ski
I will smile

Craftsbury
Next day
Christmas
I deliver meals
Meals on wheels
My wheels
Snow and ice are on the road
My wheels skid to dangerous stops
But I stop

First man - alone
Detritus, detritus
Eyes filled with fluids
White thermal underwear
Stained brown
Ripped
Torn

Next family
Blesses me
Hugs me
I leave and after ten minutes
Realize I only delivered one of the
Two meals
Backtrack through ice and snow
More hugs
More blessings

Third family
No answer
Neighbors don’t know who lives
In their small trailer house
Pounding on doors
Yelling
Man opens and too weak to hold
His meal on wheels
I help him
A scream of thanks from somewhere
In the house
The door slams

Fourth house
Sign says
“No trespassing
Violators will be shot
Survivors prosecuted”
The door opens and I make a joke
Smiles
A connection

Final house
Another trailer
More detritus
Kindness
A gift of a book

Final day in Craftsbury
I ski most of the time
On my own
My pace
The pace of a Middle Easterner
Skate ski
At times I feel in control
Weightless
My smile can’t be contained

Before I leave the far north
I buy treats for The Dog
I will visit The Dog
I’ve been praying for a miracle
This dog is kind and filled with love
I am sure

The drive home is scary
The road is covered deep in snow and ice
At least for the first hour and a half
At times I wonder if the car will slide off the road
Who would look for me?
Who actually knows where I am
The more south I go
The better the road gets
But it doesn’t answer my question
Who really knows where I am

Next day
Connecticut, mom, Brattleboro
I skip home
Head straight to see The Dog
I receive a call
One minute before I arrive at the pound
The Dog is out for a walk
Yes, I can stop by
I would have anyways

The Dog comes in
She has a name
Daisy
She is no longer The Dog
Daisy
She’s smaller than I thought
More beautiful now when I see her
Up close
She seems scared, wary, scarred
She won’t eat the biscuits I brought
At least not now, not here
She traveled from Bennington
Over mountains
She has been lost for 6 months
The next day I will get a photo
Of the tearful reunion
I should be happy
The family and she seem content
But I wonder how
What caused them to lose her
Or for her to leave
I am mixed with happiness,
Wary, questioning, distrustful

As vacations ends
The speed of time increases
I begin fixing things
Then breaking things as I fix them
Toilets
Chairs
Windows
Insulation is added
Maintenance
Exercise
And then begin the long march
Of goodbyes
To friends
To the woods
To these streams I love
I look at my collection of images
Find another and work on it
They are magic

I close the house down
Dial back the temperature
It is clean again
People will come and stay there soon

Next day
I leave so early in minus 12 degrees
Connecticut, mom, Boston

I am flying now
Half-way across the Atlantic
Writing and thinking of new adventures
There is nothing that truly fits me
Like my wife
I have several lives
And I manage each well

Leaving America
There is sadness
I love going
Hate leaving
It sounds so contradictory
Perhaps it has to do with
The fact
That I have been leading
Two different lives
All these years
For so very long






-->

No comments: