Thursday, December 27, 2018

Adrift

Adrift

I fell hard the other day upon my moral compass
It had lost its footing
Teetered for a bit
Then came crashing down

A thud
A whisper
A silence

It was broken into so many pieces
Shards of broken glass
That did not sparkle in the sun

The day was spent searching
Searching for a replacement
Perhaps a better compass
Stronger, newer, untainted

Yet what was wrong with my old model?
What didn’t I have that would have allowed it to stand for all my days?
What was missing?
Who was missing?

So I reflected
As I always have
As I always will do


We compromise
We capitulate
We abandon what has worked
For something better
Something different
Something with so much promise

We fail to recognize
That our true compass
Our true direction
Is a course that was set
At a very young age
When right and wrong
Was a consequence that was acknowledged
Was a way of life that was recognized and defined.

12/13/18

No comments: