Monday, July 24, 2006

The Next Level

I spoke to one of Eva's students yesterday and she told me that her brother was fighting in Lebanon (Golani Brigade). I could hear the worry in her voice (she is in the IDF too but playing music), but the understanding that this is the life and these are the cards that those born here are dealt.

As far as the actual fighting goes, many people seem to be making a big deal out of the strength of Hezbollah. In fact, I am not all that surprised. Being born and raised during the Vietnam era, I saw how troops with far, far less funding and equipment held their own in ground battles with American forces. Knowing the lay of the land, preparing beforehand and being committed to the fight allows a small and determined force to meet with success. Hezbollah has been well trained, is well funded and as we are finding out, has enough sophisticated weapons to fight a land based war. No surprise here.

On another note, I have been back to my eleven day detox cycles and reached the "juice" day. Not really enamored with this method but it kind of makes sense to clean out your system now and then. I wonder if there is a detox diet for hatred?

No comments: