Sunday, January 30, 2022

Gathering Time

 Gathering Time (Title of Simon Baxter's Book)


We

Well I
For I can only speak for myself-
Have had this lifelong project
To gather time
In words and memories
That traverse along a continuum 
That is tracked like a train across a Kansas prairie
Or a junkies arm

I don't know

Really
I don't know and even with directions
I wander off the path
Into the detritus of our cultural eclipses
Which pull us in like a magnetic north
Making us think we off in the correct direction
Only to find we have wandered to an edge of a cliff
Or a brick wall with a sign that says "You Have Arrived"
When in fact you are just lost

Just lost

I have gathered time
Used my rake to make piles of time
Like fall leaves in late October
Still flaked with colors
Yellows, oranges and reds
Making their way back into the earth
To feed the worms 

But this gathering
That's really what I started to say
Before I got sidetracked again on 
Kansas, junkies, and the North Pole
Is a lifelong agenda item
That pages itself on my to do list everyday
It too has fall colors and streaks of black and white
It too falls away each day and sinks down feather like
Somewhere I still cannot see

jrm
1/30/2022




No comments: